An old myth claimed that lasers don’t work on dark skin tones. There’s a reason why they’re myths, because they are not true! Laser hair removal for dark skin can actually work, you only need to be mindful of a handful of things before you start your treatment using devices specializing at Laser Hair Removal For Dark Skin at Home.
In the past, laser devices weren’t the safest for women with dark skin tones, as it didn’t isolate the hair follicles & skin pigment, causing burns, scars, and other types of damage to the skin.
Continuous improvement in science, resulted in creating specific technologies working specifically on dark skin tones.
Advanced technologies are currently being used in newer devices that use specific wavelengths crafted for the convenience of women with darker skin types.
So, here the research you may have needed before deciding the best home laser hair removal for dark skin.
- Is Laser Hair Removal Safe For Dark Skin?
- What makes a device “Safe” for Dark skin tones?
- Best 4 At-Home Laser Hair Removal Devices For Dark Skin
- First: Silk’n Infinity
- Second: Iluminage Precise Touch
- Third: Iluminage Touch
- Forth: Philips Lumea Prestige
- Philips Lumea IPL 7000 Series Advanced (BRI921)
- How to care for your Dark Skin after treatment
Is Laser Hair Removal Safe For Dark Skin?
We’re sure that this question has crossed your mind: Is the hair removal safe for dark skin? When done correctly, it can be the best possible way to remove unwanted hair from your body. However, there are some precautions needed to make the laser application as safe as possible:
- The technology used by your laser device should be up to date. Preferably the laser used should be of the Nd: Yag type. This laser has deeper skin penetration ratios and weaker absorption for melanin pigment. Thanks to these reasons, the Yag laser is a safer option for darker skin tones. The other type, which is a diode laser, can also be useful in some situations. It can be used on dark skin but should be emitted at a slower pulse rate to leave more time for the skin to lose the heat.
- Choose a device with a well-known brand history and expertise in the field of laser hair removal. We will recommend some fantastic gadgets for laser hair removal for dark skin at home.
- The devices with Nd: Yag laser usually require more sessions than the ordinary IPL devices, so keep that in mind.
We recommended the aforementioned precautions, to make your hair removal at home as safe and comforting as possible.
According to Fitzpatrick’s skin chart, skin tones are organized and numbered from one to six. Grade one represents the lightest skin tone, and grade six is the darkest skin tone. All IPL devices are safe to use in the first four grades. For grades five and six with darker skin tones, you can use only some recent home IPL devices, which we’ll discuss in length in this article.
What makes a device “Safe” for Dark skin tones?
The devices safe for dark skin usually combine advanced technologies such as wavelength filters, low energy IPL settings as low as 3 J/cm2, and unique configurations for the IPL flashes.
This combination of new technologies will make the device more gentle and low-risk on the darker skin tones. The laser will surpass the dark skin areas and penetrate deeply into the core of the hair follicle. The flash is also designed to prevent pain and burns.
A good tip for an extra benefit from the device is to apply moisturizer after using it directly as your skin will be more absorbent thanks to your widened pores.
Let’s cut to the chase, we’ve talked about the technologies used, how to stay safe throughout the treatment, and now, we’ll present you with the 4 best devices, created precisely for your convenience, using Laser Hair Removal For Dark Skin at Home:
Best 4 At-Home Laser Hair Removal Devices For Dark Skin
First: Silk’n Infinity
The Silk’n Infinity is usually the top recommendation for IPL devices for dark skin tones. The clinical data supports its efficiency with dark skin. This device also works faster than others delivering promising results. SILK’N INFINITY also remains one of the most affordable choices if you search for the best option for laser hair removal for dark skin at home.
Using Silk’n Infinity, you will need 4 sessions on high intensities or 12 sessions if you are using low powers to achieve full hair-free experience. The sessions are spaced one every two weeks.
- The most affordable IPL device.
- The safest device for dark skin tones.
- Clinically proven efficiency on all skin tones.
- Flexible and long 180 cm power cable.
- Supplied with a skin tone sensor to adjust the energy suitable for your body’s skin tone.
- Flashes should work for 15+ years if used monthly.
- Short sessions and a comfortable user experience.
- In the US and Canada, the device comes with a 60-day money-back guarantee.
- The device is not FDA-approved for usage on the darkest skin type VI in the United States.
- The results are usually slower on darker skin and weaker intensities programs.
- There is no money-back guarantee if you buy it from the UK.
Second: Iluminage Precise Touch
Iluminage Precise Touch is highly recommended for its proven efficiency and versatile usage. This device is suitable for all grades of dark skin. It is also FDA cleared for darker tones, including V, VI. This device will give decades of consistent use, and it is also suitable for small areas and faces.
The device has a small flash window perfect for remote areas as lips, chin, and jaw. It is also ideal for bikini lines and underarms.
However, this small window is not suitable for large body areas as legs and thighs as it would take you more time to treat the whole limb.
This device can work on fair hair as well; you should pluck the hair immediately before zapping. It works by targeting the microdot left in the hair follicle.
As for the number of treatment sessions needed, this device recommends 7 sessions either on high or low intensities. A session every week is typical to achieve great results.
Works efficiently and FDA cleared for all skin tones.
Easy to use and good build quality.
small window suitable for small body areas as lips and chin.
- Works for 10+ years of monthly usage.
You can use many hair removal methods before the session as waxing, plucking, or epilating.
Works on grey hair and is suitable for older ages.
- There is no money-back guarantee with the device in any area.
- Not suitable for larger sizes as legs and thighs.
Third: Iluminage Touch
This device is a highly recommended choice for dark skin tones for both large and small body areas. It is an efficient home IPL device with proven efficiency and significance. The device is FDA-approved for darker skin tones, including grades V and VI.
Although the device design is somehow outdated, it is very efficient and comfortable to use. The applicator’s cord is of excellent quality and durability. The device has a medium flash window that fits most body areas, and you can use the precision cap for smaller sizes usage such as your upper lip.
The device comes with two models, the larger one with 300,000 flashes and the smaller one with 120,000 flashes. The smaller model should be good for about two years of usage on average. The larger model may last up to 5 years. These two models are not powerful as the latter two, but they are good enough for your usage.
However, there is no money-back guarantee, but the replacement flash cartridges.
If you’re wondering how long will the whole treatment take, this device’s manufacturer recommends 4 to 12 sessions on high intensities or 12 at lower intensities. A session every week is typical.
Not irritant for dark skin.
Clinically proven efficiency and FDA-approved for all skin tones, including V, VI.
The device is suitable for large and small areas as well.
Comfy and easy to use.
Two years of full warranty.
More expensive than other reliable options.
Time-consuming if used on larger body areas as legs.
No money-back guarantee.
Read more: braun silk expert pro 5 vs philips lumea prestige
Forth: Philips Lumea Prestige
Philips Lumea Prestige IPL 8000 Series BRI949
Philips Lumea IPL 7000 Series Advanced (BRI921)
This device is a gem in the IPL devices market. It delivers one of the best value-for-money bargains you can get nowadays.
The Philips Lumea Prestige. Uses the IPL technology to slow and decrease hair regrowth after each session. It is safe to use on your face and body as well. After a while, your hair will stop growing. Regular use can keep you hairless for very long periods.
It is the second most powerful kit from Philips. You can use it on bikini, body and face hair removal. It offers five adjustable power settings and skin tone sensor to get the safest and most effective treatment. Philips Lumea prestige BRI956 comes with a user manual to help you find the right hair removal plan depending on your skin type and hair color. Many women who tried Philips Lumea prestige BRI956/00 got permanent results after only 8 weeks of treatment. all Philips Lumea models are amazing for getting fast results.
Comfortable and ergonomic gun shape.
They are easily used on lower limbs.
- The curved windows are easily applied to the skin.
Clinically proven results and safety.
The device can be used either corded or cordless.
Money-back guarantees for 100 days, so you could return it if you do not like it.
The device is somehow big and bulky.
It is not the cheapest option in the market.
The device is not yet FDA-cleared in the United States.
How to care for your Dark Skin after treatment
You’ve used the device, started the treatment, but the process hasn’t ended yet, due to the sensitivity of your skin, there are a number of points you’ll have to keep in mind, and we’ve compiled the most important of them in this list
- Do not expose the treated area to sunlight or tan for at least two weeks after the session. This is important to avoid darkening of the treated areas.
- Do not go to a spa, sauna, or any heat treatment for at least seven days.
- Avoid shaving the affected areas for three days after the session.
- Do not put any makeup on the affected areas for 48 hours.
- Avoid any chlorine-containing product to touch the affected areas, such as swimming pools.
- Wear extra loose clothes and avoid any excessive friction for 48 hours.
- Avoid hot water in baths and showers for at least 48 hours.
- Avoid using excessive trauma to the tissue, such as scrubbing or any pressure to the tissue. This is important to allow the skin to heal after the session and prevent any infections.
- Avoid any bleaching creams or perfumed products for 48 hours.
- In case of any pain or discomfort, you can apply an ice pack to the treated area.
- Use at least SPF 50 sunscreen, drink a lot of water, and eat more food that’s rich in zinc.
- Apply aloe vera gel on the treated area for extra moisture and hydration.
- Make sure to keep the treated area clean and dry for 48 hours at least.
- If blistering occurs, avoid any scratching to the area to prevent future scarring. It is better to consult a dermatologist in this case.
To recap, IPL technology witnessed many developments recently, and the new devices are capable of working effectively on dark skin with all of its grades. If you think you will benefit from an IPL device, then go ahead and invest in your body. Please read our reviews thoroughly and use our website to determine the best machine for your needs.
If you’re looking for the safest and most affordable IPL device for Dark skin, we recommend using the Silk’n Infinity.
Some women may have faced difficulties operating IPL devices, we’d recommend obtaining Iluminage Precise Touch, as it’s considered the easiest to use among the best Laser Hair removal for Dark Skin at home.
Although Iluminage Touch is the comfiest among those devices, but the Philips Lumea Prestige for Dark Skin checks all the boxes expertly.
IPL technology is a blessing and can make your life a lot easier than before. Follow the precautions and use the device regularly to get the best results possible. You deserve to enjoy a hairless body for as long as possible.
If you have any questions, please leave them below and our experts will respond within 48 hours.
2 thoughts on “Best Laser Hair Removal For Dark Skin at Home”
absolutely amazing article, thanks for sharing this article with us, especially the information about the products that we can use at home, and their pros and cons. its really an enlightening article.
It truly touched base to me and I am pleased I discovered this product. I can inform that you worked really tough on this post.