You trying to find best IPL or laser hair removal for ever and suite your dark skin tone. We spent more than 60 hours searching and testing various IPLs and Lasers in the Market and summarize the most important tips and how its work and how to use it at the home.
Laser hair removal works best for people with light skin and dark hair. However, different modalities of laser devices can be used for all skin types.
How Does Laser Hair Removal Work?
Laser hair removal is a procedure that uses the energy emitted by laser beams to remove the undesired hair from the skin surface. The process works as the melanin pigment in the hair absorbs the light energy emitted from the laser. The device converts the power changed to heat that causes damage to the root of the hair, known as the hair follicle. This damage delays the hair regrowth or even prevents it at all in some cases.
Usually, laser hair removal will not be sufficient for permanent hair removal. Your doctor may repeat the procedure multiple times until satisfactory hair removal is achieved. After that, usually, you may need maintenance laser sessions to keep the results for a more extended period.
Laser hair removal works best for people with light skin and dark hair. However, different modalities of laser devices can be used for all skin types.
Hair and skin colors can influence the efficiency of the hair removal process. The laser uses the light in the hair, not the skin, to direct the thermal beam. When there is a little difference in the hair and the skin color, there is no enough contrast for the device to focus on the hair alone. Therefore a reasonable outcome is achieved when the hair is dark, and the skin is light.
Nowadays, there has been a lot of advancement in laser technology to be safe for all skin grades without any side effects.
Is Laser Hair Removal Safe For Dark Skin?
Laser hair removal is usually safe for all skin grades. When done correctly, it can be the best possible way to remove excess hair from your body. However, for dark people, there are some precautions needed to make the laser application as safe as possible:
- The technology used by your laser device should be up to date. Preferably the laser used should be of the Nd: Yag type. This laser has deeper skin penetration ratios and weaker absorption for melanin pigment. Thanks to these reasons, the Yag laser is a safer option for darker skin tones. The other type, which is a diode laser, can also be useful in some situations. It can be used on dark skin but should be emitted at a slower pulse rate to leave more time for the skin to lose the heat.
- Choose a device with a well-known brand history and expertise in the field of laser hair removal. We will recommend some fantastic gadgets for laser hair removal for dark skin at home.
- The devices with Nd: Yag laser usually require more sessions than the ordinary IPL devices.
WHY MOST HOME DEVICES AREN’T SAFE FOR DARK SKIN?
Most old-fashioned IPL hair removal devices are not safe or suitable for usage against dark skin for the following reasons.
The energy works to remove the hair; as we explained before, absorption of light wavelengths by melanin pigment gives the color of hair and skin. This energy is converted to heat energy and causes damage to the hair follicle.
However, in darker skins, there is also a lot of melanin in the skin. This high melanin content makes the laser from IPL devices affect the melanin in the skin, causing the skin to become hot and even burned.
This melanin content dilemma is what makes laser hair removal better for lighter skin tones.
According to Fitzpatrick’s skin chart, he graded the skin tones from one to six. Grade one represents the lightest skin tone, and grade six is the darkest skin tone. All IPL devices are safe to use in the first four grades. For grades five and six with darker skin tones, you can use only some recent home IPL devices.
How can some home devices be safe for dark skin?
The devices safe for dark skin usually combine advanced technologies such as wavelength filters, low energy IPL settings as low as 3 J/cm2, and unique configurations for the IPL flashes.
This combination of new technologies will make the device more gentle and low-risk on the darker skin tones. The laser will surpass the dark skin areas and penetrate deeply into the core of the hair follicle. The flash is also designed to prevent pain and burns.
Some devices will also adjust the IPL intensity to match your skin tone before every flash.
Even after these precautions and technologies, the IPL devices remain unsuitable for all skin tones. New manufacturers use combined technologies that mix the IPL energy with other types of laser.
These new devices include The Infinity by Silk’n, which uses a gentle IPL wavelength combined with a Galvanic current.
Galvanic current is a particular type of electric current that causes no pain and can not be felt by the human body. When your finger touches the base electrode and your skin touches the silver electrodes, it creates an electric circuit. This current makes your skin pores wider. Now the IPL can affect more of the hair shaft as it will absorb more energy due to the more exposed part of the hair shaft. The net result is that The Infinity by Silk’n is more effective and safer to use on darker skin tones.
A good tip for an extra benefit from the device is to apply moisturizer after using it directly as your skin will be more absorbent thanks to your widened pores.
Cost of Laser Hair Removal
Laser hair removal sessions are usually costly. The American Society of Plastic Surgeons estimates the average cost for hair removal sessions is $285 per session. This price will vary significantly according to a different number of factors. The factors affecting the price include the area of the body being treated, the type of your body hair and skin, the number of sessions needed to complete the required mission.
As for IPL devices, there is a wide variety in prices as they range anywhere from $700 to $1200. There is a more significant economic advantage for the IPL devices here. The cost of only three laser sessions can get you a decent home IPL device and save you endless trips to the saloon.
How to prepare your skin for laser hair treatment?
It is advised that you stay hydrated and avoid using any makeup or skincare product before using the device.
It is recommended to shave your hair immediately before the sessions to get the best results. For ladies, shaving their face can be stressful, so we recommend using dermaplaning instead as it removes the facial hair without any irritation.
Other methods for hair removal are also feasible, such as waxing, epilating, or plucking. However, the results may vary.
How to care for your dark skin after the sessions?
- Do not expose the treated area to sunlight or tan for at least two weeks after the session. This is important to avoid darkening of the treated areas.
- Do not go to a spa, sauna, or any heat treatment for at least seven days.
- Avoid shaving the affected areas for three days after the session.
- Avoid any chlorine-containing product to touch the affected areas, such as swimming pools.
- Avoid hot water in baths and showers for at least 48 hours.
- Do not put any makeup on the affected areas for 48 hours.
- Avoid using excessive trauma to the tissue, such as scrubbing or any pressure to the tissue. This is important to allow the skin to heal after the session and prevent any infections.
- Avoid any bleaching creams or perfumed products for 48 hours.
- In case of any pain or discomfort, you can apply an ice pack to the area treated.
- Wear extra loose clothes and avoid any excessive friction for 48 hours.
- Use at least SPF 50 sunscreen, drink a lot of water, and eat more foods rich in zinc.
- Apply aloe vera gel on the treated area for extra moisture and hydration.
- Make sure to keep the treated area clean and dry for 48 hours at least.
- If blistering occurs, avoid any scratching to the area to prevent future scarring. It is better to consult a dermatologist in this case.
WHAT RESULTS WILL I SEE AND WHEN?
All IPL laser devices will recommend a particular schedule. In the first weeks, you will go through the startup treatment schedule; then, you will undergo less frequent maintenance sessions to keep your results.
We will show you the recommended schedule for some best home devices for dark skin.
1.Silk’n Infinity, as a start, you will need four sessions on high intensities or 12 sessions if you are using low powers. The sessions are spaced one every two weeks.
2.Iluminage Precise Touch, this device recommends seven sessions either on high or low intensities. A session every week is typical.
3.Braun Pro 5 IPL, this manufacturer recommends 4 to 12 sessions on high intensities or 12 at lower intensities. A session every week is typical.
4.Smoothskin Pure; you should use this device for 12 sessions on high or low intensities. A session every week is typical.
5.Philips Lumea Prestige, the Philips company, recommends using this device for 4 or 5 sessions on high and low intensities. The perfect frequency is once every two weeks.
For all the mentioned devices in this section, you may add top-ups as your skin needs to be perfect.
Remove the hair by your wanted method before and between the sessions until there is no hair left to remove.
After using your device 2-4 times, you will start to notice waker and lighter hair growing more slowly than before.
After 6+ sessions, you should notice only very light hair regrowth, and you may also start to see bald patches.
When you complete the startup plan provided by your device manufacturer, you will notice a remarkable decrease in hair growth overall skin types from light to dark. If you have not reached the required results, you can safely continue to use the startup regimen until your hair gets removed completely.
Once you reach the results, wanted you should continue using the home IPL device for maintenance sessions. However, dark skin users may need to use it more frequently as they usually use the device on lower IPL levels. Usually, the maintenance sessions are monthly.
Notice that the top-up sessions are essential for staying hair-free as long as possible. According to the latest results, the hairless period should vary from several weeks to months. However, inactive follicles can reappear now and then, and you will always need to shave from time to time.
HOW TO STAY SAFE?
- Before you buy a device or use it, you need to read the user manual thoroughly.
- Make sure you acknowledge the important warning for the device usage. These include use with diabetes, pregnancy, breastfeeding, epilepsy, some drugs that make your skin more sensitive to light, and chemical peels.
- Use the device only in the safe areas of your body. For women, this includes the area from cheekbones downward. For men, it only includes from the neck and down.
- Never use any laser device on your anus, nipples, genitals, moles, birthmarks, or large freckles.
- Protect your skin from sun exposure before and after sessions. The sun can make your skin more sensitive and augment any side effects like burns or inflammations.
What does the IPL device feel in the session?
After turning on the device, you will hear the fan of the device whirring. With each IPL flash, you will listen to a small pop or click. However, the IPL flashes are not harmful to your eyes, and you will not need any protective goggles. If the flashes are unbearable, wearing sunglasses may be useful.
If you have dark skin, you will adjust your device for the lower intensities. Higher IPL settings can cause a little sting with every flash. We recommend the iluminage devices as they are the lightest on the skin with gentle powers.
IPL home devices reactions and side effects:
Side effects for the home treatments include a wide variety of symptoms that may occur. Most of them are mild and non-alarming, as we will discuss. However, it is essential to know the dangerous ones to acknowledge them and get the right help.
Usually, you may notice some mild hotness and redness in the affected areas after treatment. Sometimes it can feel itchy and dry. These signs are common and can easily be alleviated with adequate hydration and some moisturizers or aloe vera gel.
Other rare side effects include hyperpigmentation in the treated areas. We may also see prominent redness, scarring, blisters, burns, or swelling of the hair follicles in the affected areas. These side effects are better to be managed by your doctor to prevent any permanent changes.
Hypertrichosis is also a scarce side effect. It means that the areas treated may show excessive hair growth rather than less growth. The reasons for this phenomenon remain unknown; however, it remains very rare and occurs more in people with hirsutism.
Best 3 At-Home Laser Hair Removal Devices For Dark Skin
The SILK’N INFINITY is usually the top recommendation for IPL devices for dark skin tones. The clinical data supports its efficiency with dark skin. This device also works faster than others delivering promising results. SILK’N INFINITY also remains one of the most affordable choices if you search for the best option for laser hair removal for dark skin at home.
- The most affordable IPL device in the UK.
- The safest device for dark skin tones.
- Clinically proven efficiency on all skin tones.
- Flexible and long 180 cm power cable.
- Supplied with a skin tone sensor to adjust the energy suitable for your body’s skin tone.
- Flashes should work for 15+ years if used monthly.
- Short sessions and a comfortable user experience.
- In the US and Canada, the device comes with a 60-day money-back guarantee.
- The device is not FDA-approved for usage on the darkest skin type VI in the United States.
- The results are usually slower on darker skin and weaker intensities programs.
- There is no money-back guarantee if you buy it from the UK.
2. ILUMINAGE PRECISE TOUCH
ILUMINAGE PRECISE TOUCH is highly recommended for its proven efficiency and versatile usage. This device is suitable for all grades of dark skin. It is also FDA cleared for darker tones, including V, VI. This device will give decades of consistent use, and it is also suitable for small areas and faces.
The device has a small flash window perfect for remote areas as lips, chin, and jaw. It is also ideal for bikini lines and underarms.
However, this small window is not suitable for large body areas as legs and thighs as it would take ages to laser the whole limb.
This device can work on fair hair as well; you should pluck the hair immediately before zapping. It works by targeting the microdot left in the hair follicle.
1.Works efficiently and FDA cleared for all skin tones.
- Easy to use and good build quality.
3.small window suitable for small body areas as lips and chin.
4.Works for 10+ years of monthly usage.
5.You can use many hair removal methods before the session as waxing, plucking, or epilating.
- Works on grey hair and suitable for older ages.
- There is no money-back guarantee with the device in any area.
- Not suitable for larger sizes as legs and thighs.
3. ILUMINAGE TOUCH
This device is a highly recommended choice for dark skin tones for both large and small body areas. It is an efficient home IPL device with proven efficiency and significance. The device is FDA-approved for darker skin tones, including grades V and VI.
Although the device design is somehow outdated, it is very efficient and comfortable to use. The applicator’s cord is of excellent quality and durability. The device has a medium flash window that fits most body areas, and you can use the precision cap for smaller sizes usage such as your upper lip.
The device comes with two models, the larger one with 300,000 flashes and the smaller one with 120,000 flashes. The smaller model should be good for about two years of usage on average. The larger model may last up to 5 years. These two models are not powerful as the latter two, but they are good enough for your usage.
However, there is no money-back guarantee, but the replacement flash cartridges.
1.Not irritant for dark skin.
2.Clinically proven efficiency and FDA-approved for all skin tones, including V, VI.
- The device is suitable for large and small areas as well.
4.Comfy and easy to use.
- Two years of full warranty.
- Expensive than other options in the UK.
2.Time consuming if used on larger body areas as legs.
3.No money-back guarantee.
4.Philips Lumea Prestige
This device is a gem in the IPL devices market. It delivers one of the best value-for-money bargains you can get nowadays.
The Philips Lumea Prestige. Uses the
IPL technology to slow and decrease the hair regrowth after each session. It is safe to use on your face and body as well. After a while, your hair will stop growing. Regular use can keep you hairless for very long periods.
1.Comfortable and ergonomic gun shape.
2.They are easily used on lower limbs.
3.The curved windows are easily applied to the skin.
4.Clinically proven results and safety.
5.The device can be used either corded or cordless.
- Money-back guarantees for 100 days, so you could return it if you do not like it.
1.The device is somehow big and bulky.
2.It is not the cheapest option in the market.
3.The device is not yet FDA cleared in the United States.
To recap, IPL technology witnessed many developments recently.
The new devices are capable of working effectively on dark skin with all of its grades. If you think you will benefit from an IPL device, then go ahead and invest in your body. Please read our reviews thoroughly and use our website to determine the best machine for your needs.
IPL technology is a blessing and can make your life a lot easier than before. Follow the precautions and use the device regularly to get the best results possible. You deserve to enjoy a hairless body for as long as possible.